Hosted by Shealea from Shut Up, Shealea, CW from The Quiet Pond, Lily from Sprinkles of Dreams, and Vicky from Vicky Who Reads — the Year of the Asian Reading Challenge is one that encourages people to read as many as books by Asian authors as they can throughout the year!
I love this initiative to support Asian authors and to highlight books that represent my culture and other cultures.
While I used to think that books by Asian/Pacific Islander/Desi authors were limited, I also realized that the ones in existence weren’t being spoken about as much other books. When I discovered An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir, I was ecstatic. I tweeted her to express how happy it made me to read a fantasy series by a brown woman. What an amazing feeling to read a novel by someone who looks like you and to also see someone who looks like you on the cover. I hope others get to feel that joy as more and more attention is brought to diverse authors and novels with representation.
I’m aiming for the Indian Cobra level (11-20 books) since that’s a little under the amount of books I have on my To Be Read list so far. So excited to share what I read and to see what books other bloggers are reading!
I’ll be updating this post with all the books I read (and plan to read) for the YARC:
- Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman (01/10/19)
- The Gilded Wolves by Roshani Chokshi (01/23/19)
- China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan (01/28/19)
- P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han (01/30/19)
- Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan (02/05/19)
- Here and Now and Then by Mike Chen (02/08/19)
To Be Read
- A Place for Us by Farheen Fatima Mirza
- Descendant of the Crane by Joan He
- Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
- Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao
- Girls of Paper and Fire by Natasha Ngan
- Internment by Samira Ahmed
- Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet by Kashmira Sheth
- Latitudes of Longing by Shubhangi Swarup
- Love From A to Z by S.K. Ali
- Love, Hate and Other Filters by Samira Ahmed
- Naturally Tan by Tan France
- Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra
- Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh
- The Book of M by Peng Shepherd
- The Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
- The Loves and Lies of Rukhsana Ali by Sabina Khan
- The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang
- The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai
- The Tiger at Midnight by Swati Teerdhala
- Time Keeper by Tara Sim
- We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah Faizal
- and hopefully many many more!
Please leave a comment if you have any recommendations!